How to Write Business Letters to Your Customers with a "KISS"

The "pen is mightier than the sword." Those were the words of Edward George Bulwer Lytton, an English novelist who wrote it in 1839. The proverb means that words are more powerful than action; a more modern translation. Let me ask you this - what if the power can be harnessed for business writing? Do you know that there is a simple tip to tapping into that power?

In my long years of working in sales, I've written thousands of business letters to customers. Some letters were templates and others were customized. In writing business letters, especially the customized ones, I picked up a writing tip a long time ago.  It's easy to remember because it's an acronym that goes by the letters - K.I.S.S.


Photo courtesy of ClipartFest

The acronym means "Keep it Short and Simple".  I've followed this rule every time I sit in front of a computer and pound away at the keyboards.  If you can put down your letter on one page that would be great. More than a page ticks off a busy reader, especially if it is a business letter designed as an introduction meant to place your "foot on the door" so to speak. However, when it is a sales letter in the form of a technical proposal, which would be read by a technical person, I guess more than one page justifies it.

I've always stuck to the word "simple" when writing. I follow certain rules like writing simple straight sentences that don't go around in circles. I use adverbs and adjectives to the minimum.  I use simple words and refrain from using "big" words that would come across as nerdy or intellectual. This is true especially for my "initial benefit statement" sentence, which drives home the point to customers on the question of "what's in it for me?"  I write like a copywriter using simple enticing words.

On the main body of the letter, I use short narratives.  With the advent of sophisticated word processors, I started using bullet points and tables so that it's easier to grasp in one look. On the part of the call for action, I use simple persuasive sentences, to make it clear to customers that what I'm saying would be beneficial to them.

In proofreading, I go through the letter once again and prune it some more to take-away all unnecessary stuff until it is a lean and mean letter.

For comments and suggestion, you can reach me at melfonollerajr@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seventies - The "Disco" Era

Grandfather@50

Organic Rice in the Philippines For Healthy Living