My Thoughts on Father's Day


Today is Father's day, and I decided to write a piece about it. I might regret it later if I didn't do it.  I thought that it might taste like stale bread or stale beer if I post my blog days later.  I went over to my desk and I started pounding on my laptop so I can write my thoughts down.

In normal times, my family would go out to a restaurant to celebrate. It's our chance to celebrate family occasions and our chance to take posterity photos for posting on social media. After the meal, I would worry about the added pounds that will raise my fear of hypertension and diabetes. I'm nearing my senior years, that's why I'm worried.

But today, I would hesitate to celebrate outside because of the coronavirus scare.  I guess fathers will have to settle celebrating this day inside the comfort of their homes and rely on food delivery.
They will just have to enjoy the day posting good vibes on social media just to be safe. The Covid-19 cases are still rising out there.

Father's Day celebrates fatherhood. When I think about fatherhood, I think of the stereotypical roles of fathers. In ancient times, fathers would go out and hunt for food. It's the men's job because they were endowed with physical strength, unlike women. They also protected their family from any threats in the environment. When a nation goes to war, young fathers become soldiers, and women hold the home front. In business and politics, men stood as leaders. There was a time when most fathers were the lone breadwinner.  The father's role then was clear as the clear blue sky. 

When my children were still in elementary school, they would go to me and ask for my help in their math assignments.  I guess teaching math is another stereotype role of fathers. Unfortunately, I'm not a math whiz like my father, so I was not much of a help in that department.  But I'm good at writing, and I gave them tips on how to polish their written drafts.

Fathers are sometimes grown-up boys in adult bodies.  They were once boys who were playful, rowdy,  carefree, bruised, and hurt.  People will just say "boys will be boys."  Some men find it hard to shake-off boyhood. But men do change when they become fathers. The joys of fatherhood transform them.  

No father can deny the feeling of being awestruck by the baby boy or girl that he held in his strong and blistered hands while holding back his tears.  Fathers experience joy when they notice their children's actions, traits, attitude and looks resemble theirs. They also experience bliss when their children's milestones in life unfold in front of them that bring their thoughts back to their children's growing-up years while their prescription glasses become foggy with tears. Fathers feel joy and relief for their children when they see that their efforts will give them a good life.  

Nowadays, fathers also perform roles of raising children too because, in most families, both fathers and mothers work to earn money to place food on the table and send their kids to school. This has improved the well-being of the family. This is also good for the family because everyone in the household will be able to enjoy a good life. But the time and attention for the children may become scarce which will require adroit teamwork of couple parents.

Fathers were hard-wired to protect their families. As much as possible, they shield their family from all kinds of danger.  However, because of the pandemic, fathers will find it difficult to protect their family from a threat that is deadly and unseen by the naked eye. Fathers can only pray and hope that the virus won't touch their families.

Fathers feel helpless in this pandemic. It's tough, and the anxiety that it causes can weigh any father down. I pray that fathers can ride it out until better days. I suggest that fathers, just like me, should radiate courage and hope to their wives and children and get it from an infinite source - prayers to God day and night. 

"Stay strong fathers! Stay safe! Your families need you."  

"Happy Father's Day!"










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seventies - The "Disco" Era

Grandfather@50

Organic Rice in the Philippines For Healthy Living