Getting my Drivers License in Doha, Qatar

Getting a driver's license in Doha, Qatar is quite easy if you're allowed to take the test immediately.  It's a different story when you have to go through driving school.  I needed the driver's license because my job as a sales executive requires me to go around Doha everyday.

In securing a driving license, first you have to go to the Ministry of Transportation and file an application for driver's license.  Afterwards, the applicant will be required to undergo physical examination.  Then  a police officer will review your application and do a customary interview.  If you have a driver's license from your country, you need to present it along with your application.  If the police officer feels that you are already an experienced driver, he will recommend the applicant to take the practical driving exam.

Unfortunately, when I presented my driver's license from the Philippines, it was a bit worn-out and the police officer thought that it was fake, so he recommended that I take the 25 days driving school.  I was kind of pissed off by it, because I have been driving in the Philippines since I was eighteen.  I didn't have a choice but to follow the recommendation.  To make matters worse, I have to pay 2,000 riyal for the driving school and the license and, of course, I need to pass the driving test.

I took out a loan from my brother to pay for the driving school.  I went over the driving school and selected a schedule.  The only practical schedule for me was during the evening.  After that was settled, I needed to figure out how I was to get there every evening after work from Saturday to Wednesday because that was my schedule.  The 25 days was a bit tiring, because of the daily commute after work and going home.  It was located a bit far from the Doha city center.  

The driving instruction was just routine and as I said, I had been driving for quite some time.  The exciting part was going out of the driving school compound because that was the first time I drove in the streets of Doha.  Thanks to my driving instructor Saleem for teaching me how to navigate through the streets especially driving inside Doha roundabouts which is quite common.  He also gave me useful tips how to do the parking between vehicle and the L-driving up the ramp because that will be the 2nd phase of the driving test. He also advised me to memorize all of the traffic signs because a police officer will ask random questions.

During the actual day of the test I passed the verbal exam for traffic signs, I also passed the 2nd part which is the parking and L-navigation.  Finally, I passed the driving test accompanied by a police officer who gave me a high score.  After the end of all the test, I finally got my Qatar driver's license.  They say that when you go around that different gulf states you can easily secure a driver's license of a particular gulf state by simply exchanging your Qatar License for theirs and pay a certain fee.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seventies - The "Disco" Era

Grandfather@50

Organic Rice in the Philippines For Healthy Living